Making the future green at The Grafton Hotel
Sustainability is so important to us at The Grafton Hotel. We are dedicated to focusing on continuing to improve our sustainability practices so that we can improve the quality of our lives, protect the ecosystem, and preserve natural resources for future generations, ensuring a future for all.
Sustainability at The Grafton Hotel is about taking into account everything we do, in our case, this includes the packaging we use, the choice of suppliers we choose to work with all the way through to customer service. Going green and sustainability is not only beneficial for the hotel, it also helps us help our guests lower their carbon footprint.
UNWTO Definition for Sustainability, “Tourism that takes full account of its current and future economic, social and environmental impacts, addressing the needs of visitors, the industry, the environment, and host communities.”
The Grafton Hotel Sustainability Awards
We are proud to be one of very few hotels in Ireland to receive the BREEAM certificate. This is used to assess nine environmental categories: energy, water, transport, management, waste, pollution, health & well-being, land use & ecology and materials. We are very proud of this achievement
Dedicated Compliance and Sustainability Officer
The Grafton Hotel has recently hired a dedicated compliance and sustainability officer in our pursuit of becoming one of the most sustainable hotels in Ireland. Reyhan is the driving force in helping The Grafton Hotel reduce our carbon footprint and also educating our staff on proactive approaches to recycling and everyday sustainability.
Should you have any ideas on how The Grafton Hotel can improve our carbon footprint or have comments on what we are not doing well please click the button below to contact Reyhan Thomas.
Current projects at The Grafton Hotel
We are committed to decreasing our footprint on the environment.
- We have introduced metering optimization, this provides an opportunity for the hotel to use the waste heat from electricity generation.
- We have replaced all our fluorescent bulbs with LEDs. There are PIR sensors throughout the building in most areas.
- We have set up recycling stations for all appliances such as batteries, hairdryers, and any technical equipment. We are focused on making sure these items are recycled in an environmentally friendly way.
- Energy-awareness posters are placed in all staff areas.
We are committed to conserving water by using only what we need so that we can all play our part in safeguarding our water for our future.
- We have installed leak detection systems and metering throughout the hotel so that we ensure wastage is minimized.
- Appliances such as dishwashers and washing machines are low-flow models to make further water savings.
- All guest bathrooms are fitted with sensors and low flush technology.
- We have installed Smart Flow to eliminate excessive water usage, human error, appliance failure and plumbing leaks.
- Filtered water is offered to all guests dining in the hotel restaurant.
We are committed to measuring waste consumption every month and implementing the following initiatives to reduce consumption:
- Adopting a reduce, reuse, recycle policy throughout the property.
- We have dedicated green leaders in diffferent departments to lead the movement of educating our staff on proactive approaches to recycling.
- We have provided staff with “BPA” free water bottles to eliminate the use of paper cups.
- Paper/recycled coasters and beer mats are used throughout the hotel as well as paper straws.
- The LUAS stop is minutes from the hotel entrance to take staff and takes guests directly to key visitor attractions in Dublin. This also links with other transport hubs.
- Cyclist facilities are provided outside the building and cycle parking is located close to the hotel. The Dublin bikes scheme and other local amenities are within walking distance of the hotel.
- We have recently introduced the Cycle to Work Scheme for our staff to promote sustainable traveling.
"“The greatest threat to our planet is the belief that someone else will save it.”